Date 26 November 2017
Team Mens Masters O40s
Fixture Home
Venue Sports Training Village (Sitec)
Start time 14:00
Result W 5 - 4
Time played
Scorers Dudley Bartlett, Dudley Bartlett, Rob Moore, Rob Moore, Ewan Fairweather
Match Report

The men’s O40 masters took to the battle field in confident mood as a few of the Dragons of Bodmin had exhausted some of their fire on a rather large night out on Saturday and only had 11 players. However, this was far from a one-way contest and Buccs struggled to break through the armor of the dragons and allowed many counter attacks to test Martin Bray in the Buccs goal. Eventually, Buccs started to get their passing together and the introduction of Rob 'the slayer' Moore made all the difference through the midfield.  Moores' run and pass found Dudley Bartlett in the D, who had intelligently pulled off the back post, to slot the ball home. Buccs were two up when the Moore and Bartlett combination worked again with the later to getting his second.  Dragon hearts are notoriously hard to kill and the visited rallied and pressed the Buccs midfield into making mistakes which resulted in a couple of penalty corners which were well dealt with by Bray, Denning, Hodges, Hill and Pellow in the defense.  When the ball was intercepted by Blackers in the Buccs D, his pass to Fairweather was released quickly to Moore who finished with style to make it the perfect quick break.  Maclean and Barry in the midfield started to boss and link with Ackland and Warren which resulted in Moore being released again to fire home to make it 4-0 at half time.

However, this game was far from over and the Dragons came back to life as Buccs decided to stop playing one touch and pass hockey and run with the ball.  The resulting turn overs put the Buccs defensive line under pressure and allow the Dragons to score two quick goals to get themselves right back into the game.  Buccs struggled to keep their shape and continued to turn over the ball.  A quick ball in to the D from a corner and the home team lead was reduced to one goal.  The pressure showed as Warren was green carded for a slashing tackle which led to more Dragon pressure.  The ball was transferred at pace from left to right and a quick cross was well deflected past the helpless Bray to make it 4-4 with 7 minutes on the clock.  Calm heads and brave hearts were required and Buccs started to regain some control in the last five minutes.  When the ball found Moore on the left his lift over the advancing Dragon stick released him down the wing and a quick pass found Fairweather who ghosted into the D to fire the ball home and secure the win for the home team.

Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards
Martin Bray 1 Goalkeper
Heber Ackland 4 Midfielder
Matt Warren 11 Forward Green
Mike Hill 20 Defender
Martin Pellow 23 Defender
Mark Blackham 42 Defender
Tim Maclean 68 Midfielder
Anthony Hodges 187 Defender
Rob Moore Midfielder 2 3
Jools Browning Midfielder
Ewan Fairweather Forward 1
Mark Talboys Forward
Damian Barry Midfielder
Giles Denning Defender
Dudley Bartlett Midfielder 2